+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ask Ginger

Ask Ginger

No, this is NOT a sendup of "Dear Abby," / advice for the lovelorn {although the notion did enter me noggin at first, thanks to my penchant for perverse / bizarre black-humor}.

Actually, this thread's intent is to provide a forum for all the odd bits and bobs not covered by the various official records. Call it a catch-all for the rumors, myths, and legends; it's close enough.

I'll kick things off by asking our Honored Patron if he could shed some light on the "Hairy Butcher" {sic} urban legend I've heard about for ages. To clarify, the Graham Bond Organisation cut a track called "Waltz For A Pig" in 1966, and it was credited to one "Harry Butcher," later revealed to be our own Guv'nor, Peter Edward. The tune itself became an obscure B-side to The Who's "Substitute" in 1966.

The urban legend I heard revolves around the differing spellings of the composer's name. Although Ginger did have long hair, that wasn't the true gist of "Hairy," according to the legend. No, the legend of "Hairy Butcher" is a great deal more crude, and involves such things as fur-pies, y-bone steaks, hurtling trouser-elephants, etc. All I'd like to find out is whether or not the urban legend I've heard has any .......................{get ready}................................ teeth to it?

Guv'nor??

i was wondering if there would be a reprint of "Ginger Baker's Drum Book" http://www.ginger-baker.com/pages/Book_DrumBook.htm or any way i could find copy of any shape or sort?

Quote Originally Posted by awfulldrummer View Post
    i was wondering if there would be a reprint of "Ginger Baker's Drum Book" http://www.ginger-baker.com/pages/Book_DrumBook.htm or any way i could find copy of any shape or sort?
    I second that! In fact, any musical notation of what Ginger has played would be wonderful but seems to be almost non existent?

I enthusiastically second that some moret!!

Ginger Baker Book

Quote Originally Posted by awfulldrummer View Post

Hi

I actually have the book myself but probably due to copy rights etc reproduction of the material may be an issue but with permission or if you wanted to know about details within the book I am happy to help.I'm a big fan of gingers and was fortunate enough to have been at the Jazz cafe gig when they did the DVd brilliant night out.

So if thats any help let me know...

Kind Regards

Gary

Hi

there are drum notation parts available from modern drummer magazine under style and analysis section from material that ginger did with chris goss and masters of reality but would be great to see some other material in notation from the BBM album where ginger really rocked and a video from one of there gigs would have been nice if some ones got material somewhere maybe members of the family with kind permission might be able to put some archived material together on a proffesional basis as a release...would be very welcome for all fans...

Kind Regards

Gary

Hey how about some drum material from Phil seaman as appears in Gingers Drum book....any more available Ginger from when you studied with Phil??

hi Hector, i do understand copyright issues! i second that about Phil Seaman! i have Gingers hot licks video, amazing video.

Yes I have the original VHS tape and recently brought the DVD still one of the best and most informative videos I've seen for ages really proper drum stuff no messing...I'll let you know about the Modern Drummer article dates aswell if thats any help with some of gingers notations aswell as there is a new book on amazon with classic drummers in there with some excelleny details regarding styles techniques and setups etc including ginger with notated material very good book well worth a purchase a 9...also on the point of gingers drum book I was fortunate enough to have found mine on e-bay..paid a bit for it though but worth every pound they just dont write them like they used to.

i'd pay whatever it cost to get a copy of Gingers book too! Ginger, when you pay attention to his playing, is so much more than any other drummer! i think Ginger on a bad day is better than any drummer on the best of days. i've learned more from my hot licks dvd of him than any other book or dvd.

+ Reply to Thread